Types of tools in social media.
The main objective of a social media manager is to reach out to potential customers and keep in touch with the present. Therefore, it is necessary to choose the appropriate media tool that actively engages the online and, most often, varied audience.
Social media tools are broadly classified into two groups based on their objectives: social networking tools and content publishing tools.
Social network tools.
These social media tools enable users to connect socially or professionally in sites such as LinkedIn, Facebook, My Space and so on. Social media marketers use these sites to promote their products and organizations.
• RSS-This is an abbreviation for Really Simple Syndication which a group of web feeds used to publish updated posts such as the recently uploaded blogs, videos, and news headlines. Examples of RSS are Bloglines, Google Reader, FeedBurner and Newsgator.
• Photo sharing-Using this social media tool, a user can share photographs online with other virtual users. Examples of social media tools that enable photo sharing are Shutterfly, Picasa, and Flickr.
Content publishing tools.
The most common ways of sharing texts are through e-mails and newsletters, forums, wikis, blogs, podcasts, video and micro blogging.
• Blogs-These are notes and thoughts which are uploaded in specific sites for blogging. Examples of social media tools that enable blogging are Google+, Bloglines, WordPress, Typepad, and Technorati.
• Micro blogging-This is another form of blogging in which readers can post their comments frequently in response the original comment. Examples of micro blogging sites are Twitter, Pownce, and Tumblr.
• Social networking-This is a popular tool that enables online users to network or connect with other users and share photographs and posts. Examples of social networking sites are Facebook, Ning, and My Space.
• Video sharing-As the name suggests, a user can upload and share videos online. The tools also support viewers’ comments that may be posted for each online video. YouTube, Vimeo, Viddler, and Blip.TV are examples of video sharing sites.
• Wikis-This website that enables users to edit and add to content that is available online. Examples for Wiki sites and Wiki farms are Wikipedia, Wetpaint, and Wikia.
The tools mentioned are only the most widely used ones and the list is not comprehensive. Remember, the purpose of connecting with a virtual audience must be powerful by leveraging the right social media tool.
Video: what are social media tools